Wednesday, November 16, 2011

There is Power in the Name of Jesus

Philippians 2:9-11

9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Several years ago I use to take my dogs out for a walk in my neighborhood every night weather permitting. There are many cats in the neighborhood that live outside. All cats that I come across while walking my dogs either ignore us or they run away.

There is one cat in the neighborhood, though, that is totally the opposite. He is all black (not that that matters) and is very aggressive if anyone comes into an area he thinks is his territory.

Well, one night when I was walking my two dogs I came across him. When he saw us he started to slowly approach us with his back arched as if he wanted to attack.

I certainly didn't want the cat attacking me and my dogs, so, as my dogs were sniffing the neighbor's yard, I pointed my finger at the cat and said in a very loud, forcible, and harsh way, "Go, in the name of Jesus!" The cat ignored me and continued to approach with back arched and aggression in it eyes. Again, I said,  with a lower voice this time, but with force and with harshness, "Go, in the name of Jesus!". Still the cat ignored me and continued to approach.

I still felt like the cat might attack. I didn't know what to do. I thought I would change my approach. Again I pointed my finger at the cat, and in a soft, and gentle voice I said, "Go, in the name of Jesus." Well, the cat looked away and started to retreat. He looked back at me again as if he wanted to attack. I said to him again in a soft and gentle voice, "Go, in the name of Jesus." This time he turned and walked away.

There is power in the name of Jesus.  However, that power was hinged on how I delivered it.

God anointed my words when I spoke them in a godly (gentle, meek) way.  He did not anoint them when I spoke them in an ungodly (loud, harsh, forcible) way.

No comments:

Post a Comment